This guide will show the first steps to using a Supermetrics connector for Data Studio, which is to add and then authorize the connector. This will then create what is called a data source file that can be added to your Data Studio reports.
For these steps we will be showing Facebook Ads as the example, but these same basic steps work for almost all the Supermetrics connectors.
- Go to https://datastudio.google.com/ and log into your Google account, if needed.
- Click Start a new report->Blank.
- If you already have a Data Studio report you want to use, you can open that instead and continue the steps.
- Click on CREATE NEW DATA SOURCE at the bottom of the right-hand "Select Data Source" pane.
- If using an existing report, click Resource->Manage added data sources->ADD A DATA SOURCE instead.
- Scroll down to the "Partner Connectors" section and look for the Supermetrics connector you want to enable. Alternatively, you can use the search bar at the top. For example, searching for Facebook Ads:
- Hover over connector card and click SELECT to start the process of using that connector.
- Click the AUTHORIZE button to give permission to the connector to access your Data Studio account.
- A pop-up will ask you to log in with your Google account - select the same account you intent do use Data Studio with and then click Allow to accept the access request.
- Click the second AUTHORIZE button that appears to log into the data source itself (in this example, into Facebook).
- A pop-up may ask you to select a team, if you belong to multiple. Pick a team with your license to continue. If you do not belong to multiple teams, it will skip to the next step.
- Follow the prompts to log into the data source with the appropriate platform user account (in this example, it would be a Facebook user with access to the ad accounts you need for the report).
- Note that for some data sources, it will use your browser cookies for that source to log the user in automatically.
- Once the login is completed, it will return to the data source setup page. This is what Facebook Ads looks like, other data sources may look different:
- Select the account(s) you want to use from the drop-down (best practice to select at least one account) and enable any other required settings.
- (OPTIONAL) Update the data source name to something memorable or informative about what you are connecting to (by default, it will be the name of the data source, so in this example it would be saved as "Facebook Ads" if you did not change the name).
- Click CONNECT in the upper-right to save your configuration as a new data source file.
- It will then take you to the field list. By default, you don't need to do anything here. Click ADD TO REPORT to proceed.
- The data source is now added to the report to use as a resource! You can now select it for your report objects.
For more instructions how to to add different chart types or edit fields see Getting Started.
- If you find yourself in an authentication loop in steps 6-10, you may be affected by a known Google account management bug. See this guide for how to work around it: Authentication-, HTTP- or Script errors
- If you see this error "This action is not supported when you are signed in to multiple accounts..." (may be localized to your language), see this guide: This Action is Not Supported When You Are Logged in to Multiple Accounts
- If you get errors for no accounts or lack of access, you may need to check with your data source administrator as the user account you are logging in with may not have permissions to access.
- There may be specific login errors or missing account issues unique to certain data sources - check their section in the support portal to see if there's already a specific guide to help you: https://support.supermetrics.com/support/solutions/19000101100