This guide will show you how to create charts and start building your reports with Google Data Studio. This guide assumes you have already set up your data source – if you haven't done this yet, see our guide for Adding and authorizing Supermetrics connectors in Google Data Studio.
1. Go to datastudio.google.com and log in with your Google account, if needed.
2. In the top left corner, go to Create → Report.
3. A new report will open, allowing you to select what data to add to the report.
- If you need to create a new data source, go to the Connect to data tab, and follow this guide for Adding and authorizing connectors.
Under My data sources, you can see the data source files you have already created with connectors. Select the one you'd like to use, and click on the Add button in the bottom left corner.
4. The new report will open, and you can start building your charts.
- A table chart may be automatically created by Google Data Studio to a blank report.
5. Add a new chart to the report by clicking on Add a chart in the top navigation bar of the report.
- A menu will open, showing you the available chart types. Pick which chart you'd like to use.
With a table chart, select the dimensions you want to use to split the data, and metrics you want to display. You can select multiple dimensions and metrics, as long as they are compatible from the original data source.
In the sidebar, you can search for fields, and drag and drop them to be placed as dimensions or metrics. Alternatively, remove or replace the selected metrics by clicking on them, or add new ones by clicking on + Add dimension and + Add metric.
Time series chart
With a time series chart, the dimension Date will be automatically applied. Choose the metrics you'd like to see by removing or replacing the selected metrics, or clicking on Add metric.
With a pie chart, choose a dimension and metric you'd like to visualize. Here we have selected Age as the dimension, Reach as the metric, and sorted the data, ascending by Age.