This guide will show you how to set up a data backfill request to add historical data to your project with Supermetrics for BigQuery.
Before You Begin
- Make sure the initial transfer has been completed successfully for your data source of choice: How to Configure a Data Transfer in BigQuery
- Trial licenses can only backfill up to 14 days. If you try to backfill farther than that, the transfer will fail.
- You can bulk transfer up to 6 months worth of data at one time. If you need more time than that, you will need to do it in separate, 6-month-sized batches.
- Different data sources have different data retention policies, so you may only be able to fetch up to their maximum value. See their API documentation for further details.
- Open your BigQuery project that was connected to the Supermetrics data source.
- Click on Transfers.
- Find the transfer in the list you want to use for the backfill request. Click it to open details page.
- Select the CONFIGURATION tab, and then click MORE.
- In the menu, select Schedule backfill.
- Set the Start Date and End Date values for the historical data you want to transfer into the dataset. Note that you can only do maximum 6-months at once (so you may need to do the backfill in batches for longer periods). Some data sources may not be able to handle requests for the current date.
- Click SCHEDULE to start the transfer process.
- It will add a new transfer request for each day in the range in the RUN HISTORY section. This may take some time to complete, depending on how much you requested at once. You can monitor the progress there in BigQuery or in Team Management (How to Monitor Your Daily BigQuery Transfers).
- Once all the requests are complete, you can now see the additional tables for each day in the backfill in the dataset and can now utilize that data in your queries and reporting.
- Check out the Data Warehouse Table descriptions to see what is available for other sources
- How to Monitor Your Daily BigQuery Transfers from Team Management
- Visualizing Your BigQuery Data in Data Studio
Need help? Contact Supermetrics Support