As noted in the article What does the "Combine new results with old" setting do?, this feature can be used to overcome shortcomings of the data source API not being able to pull older periods of historical data or to help quicken the loading or larger data sets. Here's an example setup for using this feature:
- Set up your data source query as normal in the Supermetrics sidebar.
- Set the date range settings for as far back as you need data, or as far back as the data source allows for. For simplicity, this example is set to the last week, but you can also do this with the last year or several years.
- Run the query to populate the data into the sheet.
- Back in the sidebar, navigate to the Options section and check the box for "Combine new results with old" to enable the feature. Any refresh after this point will append the data to the bottom of the existing data.
- Go back to the date range setting and update it to a smaller range - one week, last 2-3 days, etc. - whatever is appropriate to update the data in the refresh window you are going to use.
You can also use custom date ranges to set the values to things like "Today" or "-X days", if you have very specific windows you need to check and need it to update dynamically.
- Run the query again. In this example, it was set to last 7 days, so it appended the missing dates to the existing information. Now each time the query is run in the future it will append the missing sections of the last 7 days to to the end. Note that it should not add duplicate dates/rows, but only append what is new/missing.
- The final step, which is optional, is to set up a refresh schedule so that this is updated automatically! For directions on how to set this up, see Can I schedule my reports to be refreshed or emailed at specific intervals?