This guide will show you all the necessary steps to transfer your Supermetrics for Google Sheets queries to another user, so they can continue to run them with minimal interruption. This guide assumes the current file owner and license holder is still available to assist with the transfer - if they are not, see the Common Issues section for further guidance.
Step #1 - License Access
Verify the new user has a valid Google Sheets license for their Google email account, so they can continue to run the queries.
If you need to transfer license ownership as well, see the standard license change instructions for Google Sheets. If you are unable to follow these instructions, then see the Common Issues section below.
Step #2 - Data Source Platform Access
Make sure the new user has access to the data source platforms themselves (rights to see property in Google Analytics, access to Ad Account in Facebook, etc.) or can use a general user account, so they can set up the data sources under their own accounts.
Step #3 - Transferring the Queries
- The new user should log into Google Drive, and then open the Sheets file that will be transferred.
- Launch the Supermetrics sidebar and log into each data source that applies to the queries to be transferred. This is so the permissions for this user are set for the next steps. See also: Logging into Data Sources for Google Sheets
- Open the SupermetricsQueries tab (if hidden, click Add-ons->Supermetrics->Manage queries).
- For each query to be transferred, delete the following values in that query's row:
- The "query ID" (column A)
- The "Refresh with user account" (column AU)
- Once all the queries have been prepared, click Add-ons->Supermetrics->Refresh all to update the queries for the new user account and their data source access.
- Verify each query has a new "query ID" value and a new "refresh with user account" value.
- Repeat steps 2-6 as needed for additional files.
Step #4 - Transfer Triggers
If the original user had automatic scheduling triggers set up into the file(s) and the new user want to keep them, it is possible to transfer those to the new user.
- The new user should open the trigger configuration window Add-On>Supermetrics>Schedule refresh & emailing
- On the opened configuration window, the list of triggers in the file should be shown with additional link on the triggers not created by the current user.
- Click 'Transfer to me' to transfer the triggers to the current logged in account.
- A confirmation dialog should appear:
- Click 'Confirm' and the triggers should be transferred and set up with the new account and should start running.
But if the triggers in the file are not needed, the original user has to go into the file(s) and delete their triggers.
This should be done as only the account that created the triggers can remove them and those triggers can be orphaned and inaccessible if they are not removed by that user. Those orphaned triggers then will continue to try to run and may cause performance/reliability issues with triggers added later.
If you think you already have orphaned triggers, especially if the original user is now gone, see the Common Issues section below for ways to remove these.
Step #5 - Transfer File Ownership (Optional but Recommended)
If the original file owner will no longer be using the file or the Supermetrics product, it is recommended that the file ownership be transfered to the new account so that all features (mainly triggers) have enough rights to run properly. See this guide for how to do this in Drive: https://support.google.com/drive/answer/2494892?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en
I'm Unable to Transfer the License/Cannot Access Team Management
This often happens when the original license holder account is no longer available to help with the transfer and the new users are "locked out".
Support can help get you access again. Please submit a new Support Request that includes:
- The original account ID, so we know which license
- Either the buyer email or invoice ID so we can confirm rights to the license
- And which Google account you want to be given Owner rights to so they can log in and continue the transfer
I'm Unable to Change Ownership of the Files
If the original file owner is no longer available, it may be impossible to transfer the ownership of the files. To work around this, you can duplicate the file (click Add-ons->Supermetrics->Duplicate this file for another account), or copy the query configurations from the SupermetricsQueries tab into a new file's version of that tab (you need to open the sidebar at least once to enable the creation of that tab).
I Might Have Orphaned Triggers I Cannot Remove
If the original license holder is gone and cannot remove their triggers from the file, you can make a duplicate of the file (which won't carry the triggers) with Add-ons->Supermetrics->Duplicate this file for another account. Then delete the original file and empty the trash to remove their triggers completely.
If you believe you have a lot of triggers from the older user and it would take too long to remove them manually, please submit a new Support Request that includes the email of the original user so we can find and programmatically remove the triggers.