Scheduled refreshes in Power BI ensure that your published data stays up to date with your data sources. This article covers how to implement these refreshes.
Before you begin
You’ll need a Power BI Pro license to schedule refreshes.
You’ll also need to use the K-JSON format in Query Manager, as Power BI’s HTML format isn’t compatible with this type of refresh. Learn more about how to connect data to Power BI.
These steps apply to Power BI Desktop.
- Open a report in Power BI.
- Click Publish.
- Select the workspace you want to publish into.
- After the platform finishes publishing, click the Open in Power BI link. The report will open in a browser.
- Click Datasets in the sidebar.
- Find the dataset you want to schedule. Click the 3-dot menu next to its name.
- Click Settings → Scheduled refresh.
If you get an error saying that your credentials are missing, edit the data source credentials.
- Click Choose your settings → Apply.
Edit data source credentials
- Click the 3-dot menu next to the name of the data set.
- Go to Settings → Data source credentials.
- Click Edit credentials.
- Set the authentication method to anonymous and data source privacy level to public.
- Click Sign in.
- Return to the list of data sets and refresh the data set.