Supermetrics Support Forum

LinkedIn Ads failure

Hi,

When extracting data about LinkedIn creatives we're running we're getting the following error:

Error: LinkedIn Ads failure (com.linkedin.restli.client.RestLiResponseException: Response status 401, serviceErrorMessage: com.linkedin.publishing.util.common.ResponseException: Member does not have author access to view UserGeneratedContent)

We've confirmed in the LinkedIn Ads manager that we have the correct rights.
Also we've removed our LinkedIn account in Supermetrics and added this again. Did not resolve the issue.

Please help.

4 people have this problem
  • Hi Rutger,

really sorry about the error you've seen.

What is your user role in both LinkedIn Ads and for the LinkedIn page that you manage, that the ad account links to? The new "version 2" of the LinkedIn API has a higher permission level requirement to fetch all fields that our connector has, and this could produce the above error for some fields. Currently it seems like you need to be at least author for the company page as well, or possible even admin for some fields. Our devs are exploring optional ways to retrieve the needed data in order to lower the permission request, but I anticipate it will take some time to get there.

Let me know, and we'll be happy to help you further.

Best,

Heidi / Supermetrics team

• I'm also having the same issue.  Has this been resolved?  I am a LinkedIn "Account Manager".

Thanks, 

Jenn

• Hi Jenn,

Thanks for your message. Sorry to hear you've also seen this error.

The error actually relates to your rights on the LinkedIn Company Page rather than the Campaign Manager side. Are you an admin of the LinkedIn page that your LinkedIn Ads account is linked to? When you login to Campaign Manager, you'll see the page that is linked:

Please check if you are admin by accessing the company page in the normal LinkedIn interface. 
    This is my sample view from our page, showing that I'm looking at it as an Admin:

We'd appreciate if you post here, if adding permissions works for you.

Thanks!

-Heidi / Supermetrics team

2 people like this
  • Hi Heidi,

We are having the same issue across all of our dashboards. Because of the amount of accounts we are reporting on that use LinkedIn (and their tendency to hold rights to their company pages with a tight grip), it is pretty difficult to expect all of our clients to provide us Page Admin access. Do you have a projected timeline for when there might be a solution? We are trying to decide if we go through the pains of having all of our clients give us administrative access or simply remove certain tables in the dashboard. 

Thank you!

1 person likes this
  • Also, as a side note, we did test out adding Page Admin access to one of our accounts, then reconnected the data source in GDS and it seems to work for us. 

• Hi,

Thanks for your comments! Good to hear that adding page admin access gave you the data.

Our dev team has not reported on the progress for alternate ways to fetch the data for fields that require company page access, but it is under investigation. Hence I can unfortunately not provide a schedule for this, but once I get an update, I'll be sure to report here. If I'd have to guess, I would say it takes at least a few weeks, and it is not guaranteed that we find a good workaround. Hoping for the best!

Best regards,

Heidi / Supermetrics team

• Hi Heidi,

"the data for fields that require company page access"

=> does this mean that only a subset of fields are 'poisoning' the data request? If so, may you provide a list of the fields that are incompatible with having only Linkedin Ads permissions (and not Page permissions).

This would help us strip down our dashboards in a degraded mode until this is resolved.

Thanks,

Sébastien

• I contacted our LinkedIn Reps to loop in the LinkedIn APiI Dev team. Below is the response. Hopefully we will get this functionality back soon. Thanks to all who are working on this. It would be great to regain access to Direct Sponsored Content and other creative without page admin access (especially since that's not needed to create the ads in the LinkedIn Ads platform).

Just wanted to give you an update to let you know that our API team reached out to Supermetrics to troubleshoot and are looking for a workaround solution. This would entail Supermetrics using a different API endpoint that doesn’t require company page admin access. Have you heard any updates from anyone from Supermetrics or seen any improvements on your end?

1 person likes this
  • Hi Clayton,

Thanks for being so active on this!

Our developers have applied for a second app on LinkedIn API, that would allow us to work on this, but we're still waiting for their acceptance on that. Hope it's approved soon, and we can move further with the development. We will let all users know once there is news on the case.

Best,

Heid / Supermetrics

• Please let me know when this is resolved. Thanks!

• Hey everyone,

The needed permission scope for creative detail dimensions can unfortunately not be changed or fixed. Please view our article: https://supermetrics.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/19000099870-linkedin-ads-failure-member-does-not-have-author-access-to-view-usergeneratedcontent-.

Apologies for the inconvenience. Any feedback on this feature is best directed to the LinkedIn API team.

Best regards,

Heidi / Supermetrics

Login to post a comment