Supermetrics Support Forum

Split date range comparison to rows

I am attempting gather the data on several different metrics (Ad Clicks, Ad Impressions, Time on Site, etc.) from our Google Analytics, and compare it to the year prior. I'd like to see the information split out into columns by month, with each of the metrics on their own row. Then, I'd like the comparison data for the prior year to appear on the next row below the current year's data.

For example, what I would like is this:

Ad impressions (current year) | February | March

Ad impressions (last year)       |February  | March

The default Supermetrics date range comparison behavior keeps each metric on it's own row, and the comparisons appear in the columns (see screenshot). So as I read from right to left, the data alternates between current year in the first column, prior year in the next column, back to current year following month in the next column, and so on. This is difficult to read & interpret. 

Please let me know if it's possible to split date range comparisons by row, not by column. Thank you!

• Hi Matthew,

thanks for your question.

It's unfortunately not possible to set the comparison values on the row below.

I would recommend to instead make multiple queries, one for each row, where you only fetch one metric and split it by months into columns. Then you do the same metric's query on the next row, but change the date range to previous year. Could this be an option for you?

Best,

Heidi / Supermetrics team

• Yes, Heidi. It's a bit more work to set things up the first time, but after that, it will work easily. 

I experimented a bit, and I can see that what works best with comparison is to split my dates by rows, and not columns. This seems to give me the most flexibility, and produces good looking Line Charts when I choose "Get Data to Line Chart" rather than "Getting Data to Table." So I have options. 

Thank you!

Matt

• Hi Matt,

glad to hear you found a working solution!

Don't hesitate to ask, should you have further questions.

Cheers,

Heidi / Supermetrics

• Hi, yes, Heidi - another question did arise. It seems that the y-axis labels on the chart I pulled below (see attachment) are switched - the ranges are correct, but do not match with the labels. Also, there is no actual legend created when Getting Data to Line Chart. Are these bugs that could be addressed? 

Login to post a comment