Start a new topic

Where is the Source / Medium Dimension?

The Google Analytics API offers the ga:sourceMedium dimension which combines both the source and the medium, thus allowing to save 1 precious dimension slot when making API requests (limited to 7).

I see it is listed in the SuperMetrics Dimension list for Google Analytics:

TRAFFIC SOURCE
Source Source
Medium Medium
Source / Medium sourceMedium

Unfortunately, Source / Medium isn't part of the dimensions list inside SuperMetrics Data Grabber (see dimensions_list.png). If I try to edit the query in querystorage and replace another dimension with that one (I tried both "Source / Medium" and "sourceMedium"), it just doesn't work, that dimension is skipped altogether.

How can I query for the Source / Medium dimension?

Thanks,

Max

1 person has this question

Hi Max,

Source/Medium is actually available in our other products, Supermetrics for Google Sheets and Supermetrics for Data Studio. Would you be interested in testing out either one of those products as it may take some time to get this dimension available in Data Grabber as well? (Data Grabber is our oldest product and is not any longer actively updated as we are building a new version for Excel 365).

Best regards,

-Supermetrics Team 

Hi Jouni,

Thanks for the answer. It's a pity the Source/Medium dimension is missing from DataGrabber as it's been part of the core reporting API for years (for as long as I can remember, potentially from the start).

My advice would be to use the metadata API to dynamically expose metrics/dimensions so you don't miss metrics/dimensions from your products:

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/reporting/metadata/v3/

Any timelines on the Excel 365 version?

Thanks,

Max

Hi Max,

thanks for the tip. Our development team is actually making changes in to our connectors backbone in the near future.

Excel 365 version will most likely come available for beta testing in the Q1/2018. You'll be notified once this happens.

I have sent your request for this metric to our development team who will contact you once it's added in to Data Grabber as well.

Best regards,

-Supermetrics Team

Hi Supermetrics Team,

Any update on getting this into the Excel Data Grabber?

Cheers

Jack

Hi,

We have added the source/Medium dimension into Data Grabber and it should be available in the latest version(v 1.834) to be released soon.

Best regards,

-Supermetrics Team

Login or Signup to post a comment