Supermetrics Support Forum

Faulty Facebook metrics in Google Data Studio


Hello,


we try to use Supermetrics in Google Datastudio to cover a Facebook report for one of our clients. During the report set-up we noticed a few thing which are odd.

We encounter problems with the metrics: Reach, Social Reach, Est. Ad recall, CPM, Frequency (and I guess all other, which you can’t just count together)

We would like to have an over-all field, which shows the above-mentioned metrics for the selected timeframe. The problem ist, that the numbers which are shown there a just a sum of all campaigns. As you know, you can’t just sum these metrics.

Is there a workaround to get a “real” total of these metrics?


Kind regards,


Michael


1 person has this problem
  • Hi Michael,

    do you mean that for example, when not splitting by post or ad, it's showing you the total number without considering deduplicated metrics from separate campaigns?

    Could you please post and example of the data that you get (with your query details showing) and a screencapture of the Facebooks own tools of the results that you should get. Thanks!


    Best regards,
    -Supermetrics Team


    1 person likes this
  • Yes this is huge!


    I will provide some images for an example. I was quality-checking the dashboard I created in Google Data Studio using your Facebook Insights Connector. The metric I will be addressing is "Total Reach", although with this difference, it makes me wonder if this connector is pulling together the correct data for other metrics.


    I saw there was a Total Reach of 45,004 in the scorecard in my Google Data Studio report (see image). So, I wanted to check that on Facebook's platform. Note, there isn't a way to easily see a total of reach for a custom range in the Overview tab of Insights in Facebook. So, I exported the data selecting my desired date range: November 1, 2017 to November 30, 2017.


    Here is where the issue starts. I did not find that sum of 45,004 except for in the row of of November 30, 2017 and the 28 Days Total Reach Column (see image highlighted in red) in the facebook export. I found that odd. So, I went to investigate the Reach tab.


    I scrolled down to the Total Reach timeline (see image), highlighted the timeline to get the data in the pop-up window (see image - only shows portion of November) and copied that data since it literally has reach split up into Organic, Paid, and then total on a daily basis. Then, I pasted it into a scrap sheet to do quick math for sums on each of those (see image).


    The total I have for Total reach is 96,063 highlighted in green. Now, go to the other image of the facebook export to see the number highlighted in green - that is 96,063 in the "28 Days Total Reach column."


    I did the same thing but with Last 28 Days to check where Facebook gets their Total Reach on their Overview tab (see image), which was 39,859. Then I ran the export (see image) and searched for that amount (highlighted in red) and found it in the "28 Days Reach of Page Posts" column - a completely different column from the above "28 Days Total Reach Column" the the SuperMetrics connector refers to.


    So, I definitely have questions:

    1) How does facebook aggregate the reach data? Is it just rolling up the past 28 days from the date the metric is attributed to? In my example: on November 30th, is total reach for the past 28 days 45,004?

    2) Does that mean I truly don't get all of November?

    3) Why does supermetrics have 45,004 as Total Reach? Is that more accurate than what facebook has as their Total reach displayed in their overview tab which is referring to a completely different metric?


    Right now, it seems that the most accurate data to use is what I did manually with copy/pasted to get the total reach of 96,063. I'm not saying this is all supermetrics' fault. Facebook analytics looks like they have a lot of oversights they haven't thought through. Really looking forward to a response.


    1 person likes this
  • Is this being looked into? I would just like confirmation if the above has at least been looked at.

  • Hi Ben,


    Thanks for your detailed investigation and the screenshots.


    The challenge with processing metrics like "Total reach" is the fact that you can't sum the reach for each day in the month to obtain the reach for the whole month. For example, a person who sees your Facebook Page (or posts) on days 1, 2 and 3 of the month would be included in the reach number for days 1, 2 and 3, but should still be counted only once in the reach number for the whole month. So when summing the reach numbers, this person would be counted three times instead of one. The same applies to other metrics that represent unique values, like "People taking action" or "Unique link clicks".


    To answer your specific questions:


    1) Facebook uses their raw data to calculate reach numbers per day, per week and per 28 days. Yes, in your example the total reach for the 28 past days is 45,004.


    2) Unfortunately this is the case, as Facebook doesn't provide reach numbers per calendar month. Past 28 days is as close as you get with the data that Facebook provides. And for the reasons mentioned above, you can't simply add the reach numbers for the remaining days either.


    3) The metric that Facebook shows on the overview tab is indeed another metric, which is called "Total reach of posts" in Supermetrics. To clarify, using Facebook's own descriptions:

    - "Total reach" in Supermetrics: The number of people who have seen any content associated with your Page.

    - "Total reach of posts" in Supermetrics: The number of people who saw any of your Page posts.


    Hope this clarifies things. If you have any further questions, please let us know.


    Best regards,

    -Supermetrics Team


    1 person likes this
  • Thank you so much this helps out tremendously!

Login to post a comment