Start a new topic

Custom Dimension null

I am creating a daily sales report from Google Analytics and want to include the custom dimension 2 in the report. However not every transaction will have a value for the custom dimension. Currently when I add the custom dimension to "split by" the result only shows transactions that had a value for the custom dimension. 

Is there a way to include all transactions regardless if the custom dimension exists or not?

Hi Zach,

if I understood your query correctly, you need add also something else to the split by value (for example date), you should get all the results. 

If this wasn't the solution you we're looking for, please send us a screenshot of all the details in your query in the sidebar and we'll take a look at it. Thanks!

Best regards,

-Supermetrics Team

Hi Jouni, 

I have the same problem. Is there a way to show also results of cases where a custom dimension has a null value?
This filtering problem is also related to this issue:

I have attached an example query. In this case, one data set has for custom custom 17 a value, but for dimension 18 a null value and is therefore not included in the query result.

You can find an option for this from here:

We're not 100% sure if this works with filters that do not return anything so could you please let us know how it goes. Thanks!

Best reagards,

-Supermetrics Team

Hi Jouni,

No, this works only with metrics but not with dimensions. It doesn't seem to be possible to get the nullset data:
"For some dimensions, GA uses the default value of (not set). Custom Variable do not have a default value, so if a hit does not have a custom variable associated with it, all the other dimensions in the query are not added to the reports."

I guess I always need to push standard value for nullset data.

But this statement brings me to another odd behavior. The query attached returns only data from AdWords but no other cost data because I include the Ad distribution network dimension in the query.
From my point of view, it is a wrong result because Ad distribution network has the value "(not set)" for Non-AdWords traffic - so there is no nullset data involved...

I also get  results with Ad distribution network = (not set) for Non-AdWords traffic when I don't include the Ad cost metric

Hi Henning,

you are correct about the custom variables. Unfortunately we have no control over it as it's up to Google how their API is configured.

I have forwarded your second issue for our development team to take a look at. Let's see if they can come up with a solution for this. They'll reply to this thread when they have investigated it.

Best regards,

-Supermetrics Team 

Login or Signup to post a comment