Supermetrics Support Forum

Solved

Date Ranges- Google Data Studio-(from Google Sheets & SM)-

I can get data from SM (Super Metrics) into Google Sheets- and then into Data Studio (GDS). 

I have an issue with the treatment of dates. What is the best way to get dates for inclusion within Google Sheets- and then GDS?

(using a 2ndary dimension I was able to get some date specific data- but it is not really smart)

I need the data to show for any period range in the calendar of GDS. (e.g. last seven days, last 30D, last quarter, etc., etc.)

GDS has metrics and dimension fields which can be taken from the Google Sheet- after running SM. (I have seen some references to dates)

1. What are the best way/s to import data that is date sensitive? 

Do I need lots of dates- or I can I use one period of all time by sufficient? 

GDS has a calendar so it has lots of options for date specific analysis

I am not sure if I need to create calculated fields within Google Data Studio-  by copying a single date range that is a metric or dimension from the import) (e.g. last seven days, last 30 days, last quarter).

How are GDS and SM smart enough to understand what date is for which specific period- within a mass of data? Is their metadata instructions? 

Do you have any tutorials for using SM with GDS, and Google Sheets?

Or do you have specific information just about date ranges for Google Sheets- with SM?

thanks

• Hi Liam,

we do not have much experience on importing data from Supermetrics to Google Data Studio unfortunately. Supermetrics team is concentrating on usage within Supermetrics / pulling data in. I think Google Data Studio support could help you better with the formatting questions.

But when it comes to dates / different formats, there are a lot of different options on how to pull the dates / time dimensions in, and when you know what is the best format to use with GDS, we'd be happy to help you creating a report with those specs.

If there's anything else we can help you with, please let us know.

• Hi Liam,

If you want to import your supermetrics / google sheets data in GDS, you'll need to import every single date for the period of time you want to work on.

If you want to be able to select any period of time for the last year, you'll need to import in GDS a file with at least 1 line per date.

When you import your file, GDS will not recognize the date format of supermetrics. You just have to select the field with your date and select if as a date (GDS will alert you, but just ignore it).

Once your file imported, you'll be able to select the 7 last days, last mont or any other period of time GDS allow, and it will be calculated from your file.

•  

I can't understand why you have no documentation or videos on using Data Studio with your product. 

The whole point of SuperMetrics is to use it with Google Data Studio.
    (Maybe not in the past- but that is certainly the case now).

I could spend 40-50 hours trying to work this out. Extremely frustrating.
    It it just not acceptable to have no documentation or training.

I did see one short video when someone is talking about importing Bing Ads.
    If you look closely at the data- it is clear it is Facebook data- and not Bing Data.
    Watch this video- and it is just someone skimming through with no detail. 

can

•  

If you want to import your super metrics / google sheets data in GDS, you'll need to import every single date for the period of time you want to work on.

(WHAT DOES THIS MEAN). If I want to see data for the last 7 days, last 30 days, last 12 months, last 3 months etc, etc. 

DOES THIS MEAN THAT I HAVE TO IMPORT EACH ONE SEPARATELY.

How exactly does the date range need to be in the spreadsheet.

Again very unclear instructions. It is trial and error- which would take the user ages to work it out- or else it would just be wrong data that someone will be giving their clients.

If you want to be able to select any period of time for the last year, you'll need to import in GDS a file with at least 1 line per date.

(WHAT IS THIS LINE PER DATE. HOW DOES IT APPEAR? WHAT FORMAT MUST IT BE.

MORE DETAILS- again very unclear instructions.

When you import your file, GDS will not recognize the date format of supermetrics. You just have to select the field with your date and select if as a date (GDS will alert you, but just ignore it).

(AGAIN VERY UNCLEAR). TO BE HONEST THIS LEAVES ME IN THE EXACT SAME SITUATION>

NO instructions- just trial and error and waisting my own time due to the poor documentation.

Once your file imported, you'll be able to select the 7 last days, last mont or any other period of time GDS allow, and it will be calculated from your file.

THIS CONTRADICTS WHAT YOU HAVE SAID. YOu are implying that Only 1 date range is required- and that GDS is smart enough to calculate different data periods

To be honest I am now worse of that what I was before you answered these questions. 

• Hi Liam,

Just for your information, I was just trying to help. I am in no way affiliated to Supermetrics, just a simple user, like you.

Guess you're maybe right, my answer was not so clear, sorry for that. But try be less aggressive next time ;)

1 person likes this
  • Hi David,

Sorry, I have been struggling with this issue. I also did not realise you were a user rather than the system support. 

I have checked Google documentation on dealing with date ranges in Google sheets- but also found limited information. Google have out of the box templates for their products- so it is not a big thing for them.

I do think that there

Their is a software tool that can be used for manipulation- but again I find limited to no documentation. 

• Hi Joundi,

This is a template the one I have created for Adwords.

https://datastudio.google.com/#/reporting/0B4PmYmnhhV5bNTE2cld5QzI1elk

I would like to create one exactly like this for Bing Ads- as it is nearly the same data structure.

I will attach the Bing Ads one.

I think the main thing is the process.

E.g. Step One-

Import Data for All time

Step 2- Schedule intervals of automatic import

-

The tricky part is the treatment of dates. I can get data in easily- just not deal with the dates.

*My guess is that if the process is completed a few times- it will become easy).

---

(I am also working on a Facebook template- with more differences in Data Structure)

• Hi Liam,

I understand your situation but unfortunately our knowledge on how to use other companies products, are limited. Google Data Studio is just one of the dozens of platforms that our customers use to utilize data gathered with Supermetrics. Creating instructions on how to to use all of those platforms would be a humongous task. For example, Facebook doesn't have instructions on how to use Supermetrics or other tools to collect data from their services. Hope that you understand.

Best,

-Supermetrics Team

• HI  Jouni,

I refer to your comments on the first post" 

""""But when it comes to dates / different formats, there are a lot of different options on how to pull the dates / time dimensions in, and when you know what is the best format to use with GDS, we'd be happy to help you creating a report with those specs."

Can you confirm that you have changed your mind- and that you are no longer happy to help?

I am not asking for a complex question. It is merely how to treat dates- 

from SuperMEtrics- to Google Sheets- to Data studio.

While I dont expect you to have indepth knowledge of all the products you integrate with, not having a basic understanding of Google Data Studio is shocking.

I see you are actively advertising on Data Studio via Adwords- (But much less advertising than the other systems you integrate with)

So it is clear you understand the importance of Data Studio- and this is going to be the interface (Instead of Google Sheets)- for an increasing amount of products.

I have one question. That is all. And it can't be answered- even though you offered support initially- which you have now retracted.

I will eventually work this out. (I doubt I will contact support again)

• Hi Liam,

we are more than happy to help if we can get info on what kind of format the report needs to be on. As you said yourself, the documentation on Data Studio is unfortunately not clear on the formatting of the sheet. If you can get that information from Data Studio support, we will gladly help you on getting the data to the sheets the way it's required.

If there is no available information, it's unfortunately impossible to provide assistance on integrating on to another product. We would be grateful also to have a more comprehensive understanding on this matter, even though it is not a Supermetrics product.

Best regards,

-Jouni Hyötylä

1 person likes this
  • Hi Joui,

Sorry for the delay. I recommended your product to a company called Helpful Holidays- and they purchased it 2 days ago.

(The bigger customers prefer to have their own license- where everything can be done in their accounts) For small customers- I will use my SuperMetrics license to create in my own account.

Essentially I need to know 2 things

How to build the dataset in Google Sheets.

Ideally I could create one dataset template for Facebook Ads, and one for Bing Ads.

However- I get error messages when trying to select all the metrics. It says that certain metrics cant be combined.

2.) Date specific metrics. Before scheduling the report to update in Google Sheets automatically using SuperMetrics- I need the dates to be correct.

A)- Import all historical data.

B)- All reports are then updated automatically (I have a paid Google account which will speed up processing for real time reports.

What would be ideal- is that you create a screencast showing how to create a dataset for Facebook, and Bing Ads respectively inside Google Sheets.

Then how to schedule.

I will send through some sample report.

I have an Adwords Template- that I would like to use for Bing Ads

Best regards

Liam

1.) When building the dataset inside Google Sheets- I want to ideally build one dataset.

• This is an Adwords Template.

https://datastudio.google.com/u/0/#/org//reporting/0B4PmYmnhhV5bNTE2cld5QzI1elk/page/2TSB

-----------------------------------------------

This is the Bing Template- (You will see the Data Studio report is missing metrics- because I need to create a Bing Dataset in Google Sheets that will work in the same way as the out of the Adwords data connector.

Login to post a comment