Connecting your data to Tableau with the Supermetrics API is easy – no advanced setups or software installation are required. The Supermetrics Web Data Connector for Tableau is an interface that allows you to connect the Supermetrics API with Tableau with your Query URL, and pull data from the different data sources Supermetrics supports right into Tableau.
Before You Begin
The Supermetrics Web Data Connector is compatible with Tableau version 10.2 or later. In Tableau Desktop, trying to open a connector that uses an incompatible version may show the following error:
The version of Tableau that you are using cannot use the web data connector that you are trying to access.
The connector requires at least version 'x.x' of the web data connector API.
If you use Tableau Server, please see the following article for instructions on how to whitelist the Supermetrics Web Data Connector: Report Scheduling with Tableau.
For instructions on building your query, see Using the Query Manager.
Connecting your data to Tableau
1. Access the Supermetrics API Query Manager on our Team Management site at team.supermetrics.com/query-manager.
2. In the Query section, log into the data source you wish to import data from into Tableau and create the query.
3. Once you have built the query, click on the TABLEAU button to change the format of the URL to work directly with Tableau. You will see a completed URL below. Save the URL for the next steps by clicking on the COPY button.
- Important - This URL has an API key in it that gives anyone with the URL access to your data! Treat this like a password and keep it safe. If you need to publicly share the URL, use the "SHORT URL" option as it will not show this API key.
4. Go to Tableau Desktop. In the Connect menu, select More... under the To a Server section, and find the option for Web Data Connector.
- The Web Data Connector option may appear in the main To a Server list if used before.
5. In the web data connector URL field, insert https://supermetrics.com/tools/tableau and press Enter.
6. You will be taken to the Supermetrics Web Data Connector.
7. Paste the Query URL you copied from the Query Manager in step 3.
- Optionally, select a name for the table in Tableau.
8. Click on Get Data.
- The data from your query will start to populate into Tableau. Depending on the size of the request, this step make take a few seconds to complete.
Once you have extracted the data from your selected data source into Tableau, you are ready to analyze the data and create visualizations and interactive dashboards. One of the best things about Tableau is that you can combine your different platform data together – for example, compare Facebooks Ads with Twitter Ads, or any other data source the Supermetrics API supports.
You can create data source-dependent sheets or join different data sources in the same sheet to present and analyze the data. A sample dashboard below shows a dashboard created using Google Analytics, LinkedIn Pages and Google Ads queries with metrics/measures and dimensions shown on the Tableau Desktop.