Using the Query Manager, you can easily create queries and connect your data from various data sources to Tableau with the Supermetrics API.
Before you begin
The Supermetrics Web Data Connector is compatible with Tableau Desktop version 10.2 or later. Trying to open a connector with an incompatible version may show the following error:
The version of Tableau that you are using cannot use the web data connector that you are trying to access. The connector requires at least version 'x.x' of the web data connector API.
See Tableau documentation to learn more about web data connectors in Tableau Desktop.
If you use Tableau Server and would like to schedule a refresh for your published reports, you need to allowlist the Supermetrics Web Data Connector (SM WDC) and API endpoint.
- Run the following command to allowlist SM WDC:
tsm data-access web-data-connectors add --name "SM WDC" --url https://supermetrics.com:443/tools/tableau --secondary https://api.supermetrics.com/(.*),https://supermetrics.com/(.*)
- If you’re using Windows CMD, you may need to remove the apostrophes (‘) for the command to work correctly.
- Allow refreshes to the allowlisted WDC with the following command:
tsm data-access web-data-connectors allow -r true
- To deploy the changes, restart Tableau Server with the following command:
tsm pending-changes apply
- Once Tableau Server has been restarted, you can confirm that the connector was allowlisted properly with the following command:
tsm data-access web-data-connectors list
See Tableau documentation to learn more about web data connectors in Tableau Server.
Tableau Online does not support web connector refreshing. This means it can’t be used to refresh the data from the Supermetrics API connection. The report can be published and shared with others in the Online version, but data will need to be manually refreshed from the Desktop version to update the report.
- Log in to the Supermetrics Hub.
- In the sidebar, click API.
- Select for Supermetrics API from the dropdown menu next to the page title.
- Click Select data source.
- Select a data source and connection to use.
- In the sidebar on the left, build your query. Click Run to test it and review your data in the preview.
- From the URL format options, select Tableau.
- Copy the Query URL.
The query URL includes an API key that gives anyone with the URL access to your data. Treat this as you would a password and keep it safe. If you need to share the URL publicly, use the Short URL option that does not display your API key.
- In Tableau, navigate to Connect → Web Data Connector. The option can be found under the To a Server section.
- In the web data connector window that opens, insert supermetrics.com/tools/tableau into the URL field and press Enter to continue.
- In the Supermetrics Web Data Connector view, paste the Query URL you copied from the Query Manager in step 7, and optionally, fill in a name for the table in Tableau.
- Click Get data.
The data from your query will start to populate in Tableau.