This guide covers the basic functionality of the Supermetrics Facebook Insights connector, and gives examples of how to set up a data transfer with Data Warehouse, Cloud Storage & BigQuery, and how to setup a query with API.
Quick links to specific sections:
Data Warehouse & Cloud Storage
- Data transfer setup example
- Adding additional user accounts
Data Source Access Requirements:
To enable Supermetrics for Facebook Insights, you must have Administrator access to a specific page, or if connected with the Business Manager at least a Page Editor access to a page.
- If connected to New Page Experience, you must have partial access to the linked Facebook page.
To learn more, please refer to the guides:
The complete list of available fields (metrics and dimensions) for Facebook Insights, can be found here.
In the field list, you can identify metrics as "Type met" and dimensions as "Type dim".
This guide assumes that you have already installed a data destination for Snowflake Data Warehouse, or Azure Storage Container, or Amazon S3 Bucket, or Google Cloud Storage Bucket. If you haven't created a data destination, see: How to configure a data destination
How to configure a data transfer
1. Go to team.supermetrics.com and under INTEGRATIONS → Transfers click on the Create new button.
2. Select Facebook Insights and click on OK.
3. Click on the pen icon and choose a display name (can be anything), that will be used to distinguish the transfer you are creating from others.
5. Schedule your transfer.
- Frequency: How often the transfer will be repeated. If you select the Daily option, new data will be added once a day.
- Time: The time when the transfer will be repeated.
- Refresh window: A refresh window setting of 1 means that it'sgoing to pull the calendar day it’s running on, which is typically less than 24 hours. To get a full day’s data updated each day, use the default value or minimum of 2. On the other hand, a higher value means the transfer will run more times each day, so it proportionally increases the total load time.
6. To authenticate Facebook Insights click on + add user, under sources.
7. Click on start to proceed.
8. If you are logging in for the first time, insert your credentials (username & password) and click on log in.
9. Click on continue as X if you wish to login with that specific user account. If you want to access by using another user account, click on log into another account.
10. Select the account/s and click on next.
11. Click on done. If you wish to learn more about data security and data privacy, please see this page.
12. Click OK to confirm.
13. You have completed all the authentication steps. You should receive a confirmation to close the browser page.
14. You have completed all the authentication steps. Hand-pick the account(s) you wish to proceed with. Click on "select all" to select all accounts. The right-hand side lists the account objects that have been selected to be used in the data transfer.
15. Fill in the general settings: the conversion window, reporting timezone, and report time of action stats. These settings impact all tables in the transfer.
16. As a final step, click on SAVE.
1. Click on "add another user" to add additional user accounts.
To re-authenticate the data source with any Data Warehouse and Cloud Storage product, please refer to this guide.
1. Go to the Team Management site at team.supermetrics.com and log in with your Google or Microsoft account.
2. In the top navigation, go to INTEGRATIONS → Query Manager.
3. Select Facebook Insights in the sidebar.
4. Click on start to proceed.
5. If you are logging in for the first time, insert your credentials (username & password) and click on log in.
6. Click on continue as X if you wish to login with that specific user account. If you want to access by using another user account, click on log into another account.
7. Select the account/s and click on next.
8. Click on done. If you wish to learn more about data security and data privacy, please see this page.
9. Click OK to confirm.
10. You have completed all the authentication steps. You should receive a confirmation to close the browser page.
11. You can now go back to the sidebar, click on query, and select your Facebook Insights page(s) under select pages.
12. Select dates. Choose one date range (today, yesterday, last week, etc). To select a custom date, you can either insert the date manually on start and end or select it from the calendar bar.
13. Select metrics. To see all metrics that can be fetched with Facebook Insights, please see Facebook Insights documentation. To deselect a metric click on the X next to the metric's name.
14. Split by dimensions. You can choose dimensions in rows and/or columns. To see all dimensions that can be fetched with Facebook Insights, please see Facebook Insights documentation.
The query example above is with JSON.
To re-authenticate the data source with API, please follow all the steps from this guide.
This guide assumes that you have already enrolled for Supermetrics Facebook Insights in the Google Cloud Platform Marketplace. If you haven't, see First Steps: Getting Supermetrics into your BigQuery project
1. Go to BigQuery at https://console.cloud.google.com/bigquery and click on Data transfers.
2. Click on + CREATE TRANSFER.
3. Under the source drop-down, select Facebook Insights by Supermetrics.
4. Add a Transfer config name (can be anything) for the transfer.
5. Set up your scheduling options for when the transfer will run.
- Select Start now to have the initial transfer start immediately after the configuration is saved.
- Set Repeats to Daily to have new data added once a day.
- The Start date and run time is locked with Start now selected.
6. Set the Destination settings.
- If you have an existing dataset you want to use for the transfer, simply select it from the dropdown. For instructions on creating a new dataset, see Creating a BigQuery dataset for your data transfer.
- The default refresh window varies per data source. You can also set the number of days you want to include in each daily data transfer manually.
7. Click on CONNECT SOURCE to proceed.
- Optionally, you can enable Notification options to get notifications about failures.
8. A pop-up will appear asking you to enable a third party connection. To accept and proceed, click on ACCEPT AGREEMENT.
9. Sign in with your Google account that has access to your BigQuery project.
10. To authenticate Facebook Insights, insert your credentials (username & password) and click on log in.
11. Click on continue as X if you wish to login with that specific user account. If you want to access by using another user account, click on log into another account.
12. Select the account/s and click on next.
13. Click on done. If you wish to learn more about data security and data privacy, please see this page.
14. Click OK to confirm.
15. Select the account(s) you wish to have as part of the data transfer – you can select more than one account. Fill in any additional settings (conversion window, timezone, report time) and click on submit.
16. Click on submit to proceed.
17. Click on SAVE to save the transfer. This will also start the initial data transfer.
To re-authenticate the data source with BigQuery, please follow all the steps from this guide.
If you followed all the above steps and you still encounter an error, please create a new support request with the details of the issue and we will assist you.