Supermetrics Support Forum

Facebook Insights connector

Hi,

Firstoff, love your product :D

I'm using the Facebook Insights connector and am missing some valueable metrics, that are provided with the Facebook API, like all metrics concerning 'post consumption' and 'post engagement'. 

Also, I found that most metrics that are available in the connector, result in an error when being used. In the screenshot below, I'm using the metric 'post link clicks' in a simple scorecard.

And last but not least, it would be really convenient if all the Facebook metrics and dimensions would have the original name as was given to them by the Facebook API.

I understand the logic of trying to make them more 'clear' for users, but this way it is much harder to find information about a certain dimension or metric, because they have 'fictive names'. Even with a legend like the one you offer, as Facebook frequently changes the names. 

• Correction: "most metrics that are available in the connector, result in an error" should be "most post metrics" All other metrics work fine.

• Hi Chris,

Thanks for your feedback! I'm commenting on your notes below.

I'm using the Facebook Insights connector and am missing some valueable metrics, that are provided with the Facebook API, like all metrics concerning 'post consumption' and 'post engagement'. 

- We will definitely try to add all metrics that are missing from our system. Would you mind linking to the metrics you refer to? I checked out a couple consumption metrics that are not present, but if you've discovered particular ones, would be great to hear which ones.

Also, I found that most metrics that are available in the connector, result in an error when being used. In the screenshot below, I'm using the metric 'post link clicks' in a simple scorecard.

- The trouble here is, that the API requires us to define which posts we are looking for in order to calculate for example Link Clicks. If you're fetching into a scorecard, you need to use a filter to define a post level dimension. In a table, you can split by for example Post message, or any other post-level dimension. A summary row can be used to view totals. 

These things are required when fetching metrics that apply only for either post or page.

And last but not least, it would be really convenient if all the Facebook metrics and dimensions would have the original name as was given to them by the Facebook API.

- Feedback passed on to our developers, thanks!

Best regards,

Heidi / Supermetrics

• Hi Heidi,

Thanks for the elaborate response. 

To clarify: I understand why you'd want to give more 'clear' names to the Facebook API metrics and dimensions, since they are really confusing. However, changing the names may lead to misinterpretation.So to prevent that, I'd stick to the original names.  I for one now need to cross-check the names with the original descriptions Facebook gives. 

Metrics I'd like to see added are:

page_post_engagements

post_consumptions

post_consumptions_unique

post_engaged_users

post_engaged_fan

post_fan_reach

And the dimensions that are listed under 'Page Like Sources' (https://developers.facebook.com/docs/graph-api/reference/v2.12/insights)

Thanks again!
    Regards,

Chris

• Perhaps an even better solutions even would be to keep the names you're using now (as they are much more clear), but add the descriptions Facebook gives to the Metric list (https://supermetrics.com/api/getFields?ds=FB&fieldType=met).

Of course, this will need a lot of regular checking/updating.

Login to post a comment